I've been driving around with my DR590W for about a month now and I'm really quite pleased with it. I installed this myself on my 2017 Mustang Ecoboost using the Power Magic Pro (PMP) and the Essential BlackboxMyCar Install kit and it was very straightforward. There were lots of of videos/resources available for cable routing/fuse selection so no guessing on my part. Installation took about two hours.
So far I've been pretty happy with the quality of the footage - when viewed on my computer monitor, it's fairly easy to read license plates/determine make/model for cars directly in front of the camera. However, due to the wide angle lens, there's a slight fisheye effect that distorts things on the sides of the footage. I don't really see this being an issue.
Parking mode works as expected - footage is saved based on motion or acceleration triggers. With the PMP set to 12V, the camera records for the 8-9 hours I'm at work without issue.
The Android app works fairly well, with a couple of slight annoyances. To connect to the camera wifi (and transfer data), mobile data needs to be disabled on my phone. The app design is pretty intuitive, and it's pretty clear how to navigate through the menus, etc. The other problem I have is during video streaming - the video will buffer for a couple of seconds, then start to play, but stop after four seconds. I haven't been able to figure it out, but I can download the entire video segment without issue. The desktop viewer has more functionality than the phone app, but I found it far less intuitive to use (but there is good documentation on the blackvue website).
Overall, this dash cam has met my needs. It provides me some amount of reassurance that I will have video evidence in the event of an accident or parking lot collision.
- Built in Wifi allows for setting changes/video viewing without the need to remove the microSD card and find a computer
- Good quality (in day time, straight ahead)
- Parking mode (with PMP) protects against parking lot mishaps
- Plenty of spare wire length for rear camera
- Fisheye distortion on edges of footage
- mobile viewer will buffer, then only play four seconds of footage (but everything can be dowloaded without issue)
- desktop viewer has a learning curve (checking a filter removes that type of recording from the list)
- Android version of app requires disabling mobile data to connect to wifi