Simple steps to ensuring that your dash cam is running optimally can be as easy as formatting your dash cam. Here are our simple tips in keeping your dash cam in tip top condition:
1) Micro SD: Use a Micro SD card that is from a reliable source. We recommend this because some no name brand Micro SD cards may not always be able to keep under the stress of writing video files all the time. This means sometimes it will come out corrupted footage or just no footage at all. Click here if you want to learn more about which is our top recommended SD cards.
2) Micro SD Class: The class of the Micro SD card is important because it specifies the speed and stress card to read and write files. Since we are recording as well as writing onto the SD card at a rapid pace it is the best to go with a Class 10 type card.
3) Formatting: Many simple problems with either video quality or settings may be solved by a simple formatting. It is recommended that the Micro SD card is formatted every week or at least once a month. This will ensure the reliability of your dash cam to record and produce necessary footage that you may need for evidence. Units we have that have a formatting function built in are our BlackVue DR650GW-1CH, BlackVue DR650GW-2CH, and Blacksys CH-100B. Korean studies have shown that formatting the Micro SD card has benefits in fixing minor problems. Click here for more information.
4) Replacing Micro SD cards: The dash cam unit runs constantly reading and writing new footage onto your Micro SD cards. Over time the Micro SD card internal materials degrade thus having a life span of 1-1.5 years. Therefore, it is recommended that the dashcam's Micro SD card is replaced every 1-1.5 year to maintain reliability.
5) Not maxing out capable storage: The dashcams that we offer all have a maximum capacity in external storage. We recommend units that have a 128GB max capacity to only use 64GB because when the dashcam is writing videos to the Micro SD card it takes longer for the dashcam to recognize what is filled up space and what is empty with larger cards. Thus, leading to more problems that may occur that may not show up right away.
If you have any other questions, be sure to contact us here